Friday, 3 July 2026

ROCKING YOUR WORLD FRIDAY - 27TH OF 2026

 Good morning all, it is Friday time for us to clock the silver linings and positive moments from the last 7 days 


So last week we headed to our old home town of Stafford for a trip to see the Shakespeare play at the local theatre.  In the good old days it was held at the castle but increasing costs had it transfer post pandemic and it has remained at the local theatre. 

Given the ridiculous heat wave we were struggling with we made two fundamental changes.  The first is we took my car as the air conditioning is more effective and we decided against going to Trentham gardens first.  Technically I don't believe there have been any changes or additions fairy wise since our last venture so we headed straight to the hotel.

We managed to access the room straight away and I'd requested a specific room which is far enough away from the bustling street at night not to be affected by the noise but also because it had air conditioning. 

We enjoyed tea and cake as part of the package when we first arrived (although hubby had a beer) so I got to enjoy both pots of tea - definitely a win in my book 


In the evening we had a two course meal, we had steak for our main meal and then I had a knickerbocker glory which was unusual, but I remembered my Mum talking about them so thought I'd try. 


Hubby however had a crumble and custard and given how hot it was he decided in hindsight that it wasn't the best choice, but he enjoyed it nevertheless. 


Hubby enjoying his meal. 


I love the reception area 


We had a mooch after tea and saw this staffy figure





The following day we headed out for a mooch around and to see what had changed.  

We started in the church over the road known as St Chad's it has a definite Kilpeck feel to it.  There was a volunteer who had all the information about the church and gave us a guided tour and the church warden was lovely as well. 


There was a fab mouse trail around the church 




this pew end of a green man had been cast and you could buy the wall plaques so we purchased one


the masonry work in the church was amazing, a total of 14 dragons included





After we headed to the local charity shop and I found ample amounts of books (much to hubby's bemusement I'd faithfully promised I wouldn't buy any more until we'd catalogued what we've got). 

Then on to the other church St Mary's where I saw some lovely textile work. 

Then on to a few shops, we popped to the Picture House which is now a pub but was a cinema when we were there so we have fond memories and then a bit more shopping where I found an independent bookstore which was a delight. 

We had a lovely early tea and had lemon cheesecake for dessert. 


Then off to the theatre

Th


This was a model of last year's set. 


and this year's set


waiting for the play


The play was amazing set in the 1920's very Peaky Blinders-esque and incredibly well played. 

We had a second night enjoying air conditioning and so slept well and then the following morning we packed up and headed home, due to the heat we didn't stop at Chatsworth but came straight home. 

We enjoyed the rest of the weekend, chilling and trying to reduce the heat in the house. 

Monday and my sister came for tea, it was lovely to catch up (as always) and Tuesday our son, daughter-in-law and grandson came for tea.  Wednesday was a mighty long day but I got lots done and Thursday has been a day of catching up. 

I hope you've had a great week.

2 comments:

Helen said...

What a full week you had - not surprised you didn't pack in Trentham or Chatsworth, with the heat; but the air conditioned room sounds very enjoyable! the pots of tea with your first meal look huge! Glad you enjoyed the play. Have a good weekend Helen xx

Lisca said...

What a lovely weekend away! You did all sorts of nice things and the food you had looks amazing! I would have tried that knickerbocker Glory too. I'm salivating just looking at it.
I like the dragons in the church. Quite unusual or what.
I loved the reception area of the hotel. What an original idea. I've never seen that.
It's good to have air conditioning in the car. Here of course I use it a lot and it has to be gassed every two years, so that is probably necessary in C's car.
Enjoy your weekend,
Lisca