Good Afternoon many apologies for my tardiness but we've been away and the signal was appalling, so I've to wait to get home to post.
So me and hubby had booked a week away in Shropshire, we were hopeful said 21 year old might have managed to get with his fiancee but uni timetables simply didn't allow. However, we had a lovely week regardless and my Mum came down with her hubby and stayed for one of the nights, so I got a couple of days with my Mum which was lovely. As she has now started her new treatment and has another course of it this week, we are hoping she might to start to see some improvements soon.
Anyway the week that was on Sunday we decided to head to Hawkstone Park and Follies, it is somewhere we've never been before although we have considered it a few times before, I had a feeling it would be a rather tiring day (and I wasn't wrong), but the views across the surrounding areas and the stunning scenery definitely made the aching legs worth it the following few days. Apparently on a good day you can see 12 counties from the top of the tower that we climbed.
Now this is the tower in question and despite not being a fan of heights I braved the walk up as I really wanted to see the view.
Hubby also got some great macro shots of which this one was a definite favourite.
On Monday we headed to Powis Castle, it was a little further afield but worth the trip out, the only downside was that we couldn't take photos inside, which really was a shame as it was rather beautiful, but we enjoyed our visit nonetheless and had a great wander around the gardens as well.
Tuesday was hubby's choice, as he fancied a look around Shrewsbury, given the town has a lot of history and has a similar oxbow river running around the outside, we sort of thought it would be similar to Durham. Whilst it boasts lots of independent shots, they haven't really joined the history up fully so it was a roaring success, but nevertheless we saw a few key elements. We went inside the art gallery and museum and saw the Shropshire hoard found back in 2009 I think it said.
We also found the round church at the top of the hill, I've never been inside a round church and its history was interesting. You can just about see the round bit on the left, I'm assuming the parts that dominate the photo were added afterwards.
On Wednesday I was most giddy to be heading to British Ironworks and Shropshire Sculpture Park, we had a fantastic day, wandering around all the sculptures, enjoying a cuppa, walking around the gift shop, it really was lovely. I particularly liked this fella made with 40,000 spoons.
This however was my favourite sculpture of the day, known originally as the Crisis Sculpture it is now known as the Sculpture of Reflection.
On our way back we popped to Whittington Castle which whilst it wasn't very big, was rather cute
On Thursday we headed to Chirk Castle and had a wander around for a few hours, we've been before although hubby couldn't remember it at all.
We were allowed to photograph inside which was nice
Before we headed into Llangollen to meet up with my Mum and her hubby, we had a wander around the town and up to the canal where the horses still pull the canal boats.
On our way back we saw people rafting down the river
On Friday before my Mum set back off we popped back to the British Ironworks/sculpture park and this time we had some blue skies.
We got an even better shot of this in the brighter sun
And just for scale my Mum posed for a picture.
Before we headed inside for a cuppa, hubby had a scone which was absolutely huge, and I really loved the cast iron teapot.
After my Mum had headed off, we popped to the Mere in Ellesmere and did a little of their sculpture trail, the first of which was a nod to the two sisters from Ellesmere that started the Save the Children charity back in the 1920s.
I quite liked the maze on this one
The views over the mere were beautiful
And that was our week away, it was lovely to take some time away, weirdly even though we've had a couple of breaks recently I needed this break more than any of the others, I needed time to let my brain relax and take stock a little bit, we didn't watch any TV, we just read and sat chatting in the evening and enjoyed a hot-tub which was on the property. It really has done me the world of good and I've come home definitely in a better frame of mind than when I went.
I hope you've had a good week, I will catch up with posts over the weekend. I won't bother with Mr Linky at the moment.
Hugs
1 comment:
I'm glad to see you had a good time away - what fabulous sculptures!! Great that your Mum was able to join you for a while too. I was worried when you hadn't posted yesterday but glad that it was for such a good reason, and that you have come back feeling so much better. Take care. Helen xx
Post a Comment