Friday, 17 August 2018

Rocking Your World Friday - 33rd of 2018

Good Morning lovely people - tis Friday time for


So it has been a busy busy week at work, we are preparing for two events, the first an open day this 
Saturday and the second an event on the 26 August 2018 to mark 4 years since the Jay report was published we are filling the gallery with 1400+ flowers.

I shared a couple of the canvases last week with you, here are 3 more completed by said 17 year old. 


Next up the fabulously fun play we went to see last week, I forgot to share a photo of the set pre-show, we always try to sneak a single picture so we can remember the show better.  Here is said shot


Trip to Ikea when this sneaky chap appeared to be following me around, we saw one (and only one) in the toy section and then we saw this one in the plant pots on the way out of the market hall, mmmmm do we think he was following us?


Me and hubby went for breakfast


Fab company and fab food


When I popped into see my Mum, I ended up with another bag of tissue paper flowers for the event, which was great but I knew that the canvases were now 'spoken for', which left me with the dilemma of what to do with them.  So I set to coming up with other ways to display them.  First up this one.  An over sized Powertex heart with 7 of the flowers displayed on them, I love how it looked on the wooden floor if I'm honest. 


Me and hubby had a wander around the local shopping centre, we saw this which made me smile, particularly when I overheard someone explaining that it wouldn't fly - really! 


Sunday morning we had a naughty breakfast - cheese on toast it was lovely, but I did suffer afterwards (operation date one week and counting). 


Then we had some of that wet stuff that comes out of the sky, not seen it in a while and we were struggling to remember its name, but then we remembered! 


So a rainy day, so more flower arranging, first up in an Ikea crate


Then in an easel box (yay I finally got it used)


Then in an Ikea plant pot


And then in a set of three, I think they all looked great when they were done


Said 17 year old decided to make some with electrical wire, first up - copper


and then a blue tulip


I've enjoyed reading my illustrated Harry Potter book


I also made some handmade cards (remember I'm not a card maker by any short stretch of the imagination).  Using up a 6 x 6 pack of Blonde Moment papers, I loved these papers (and the pink and grey set that they did)


I managed to make 20 in total and these will sell at the charity (all being well) to raise much needed funds.


We've also got a badge maker at work said 17 year old has been preparing badges for the Open day, but we were running out of ideas, I asked for some funny sarcastic quotes from my brother, he came up with this one which literally made me laugh out loud, apparently it is too offensive for the open day, but I
 made some and bought them myself.


We also did some zombie badges from some designs my brother did years ago, again not appropriate for the open day, but I was happy to pay my dues


And finally it isn't very often when you get this visitor at work, she headed down to the boat and waved at the big boat coming through, 


Said 17 year old was out on the boat and we also had a Fireman in who was helping us make tissue paper flowers - as days go - this one was definitely a strange one! 

I've had loads of lovely comments recently, but also a few questions so I thought I'd try and answer them all in one go

Gina - time to work and do all the things we do there is only one answer my time turner must actually work (ps I assumed everyone else did what we did, is that not the case?  Followed by the words - I'm not sure how long I will be here on this earth so I've got to cram everything in). 

Lisca - I do get your comments but always want to read before they publish and if I'm having a crazy hectic day (see note to Gina above), it can take me a few days to get to them and read them properly and publish them - but I do so love the comments, so please don't stress.  I will share the paper marbling photos (once I've taken them she says adding to her to do list).  Love at first sight - yes it was and we are still in love today as the day we met, I feel very blessed to have this amazing human in my life, blessed to have an amazing son and I never ever take any of it for granted and I love the story of you and your hubby planning your wedding so soon after meeting, it took us 8 years to get married, but I always knew he was the one!   As for the corn bread I wasn't keen as it was both sweet and spicy and being served as a savoury if that makes sense, on the other hand my hubby loved it! 

Kate, thanks for the info on the paper marbling, they are still oily - so I shall continue to wait to use them.  Said 17 year old has had some fantastically positive feedback on the tree art canvases he did for the display which has been a real boost to his confidence if I'm honest.  The Tempest is definitely a hard work play to watch, but when done well (which it was), thoroughly enjoyable!

Gina - graffiti versus mural - a very good question.  I love graffiti art (not tags - that to me is just vandalism), but actual spray can art.  I have no idea when graffiti goes from graffiti to mural - is it the legality side of things that differentiates the two?  

Lisca the Sheffield trams are fabulous, the only way we travel when heading directly into the city! 

Gina - charitable organisation for workplace question.  In answer to this one my work history was legal secretary, then I moved to work for the Ministry of Defence, then I ended up in finance initially I worked in the service industry and then manufacturing before starting work at a charity in 1998 so this year I celebrate 20 years of working for charities.  My first charity job was in Stafford working for an alcohol agency, which subsequently became an alcohol and drug agency (and eventually an alcohol and dependency agency), I brought part of that job with me when we relocated back to Yorkshire and promised hubby faithfully that I would take a year out, that year lasted 12 weeks before I found a part time finance job working for the local YMCA, that job lasted 9 years (which on reflection was too long), I then moved to yet another charity this time around homelessness that was Sheffield based and I also found another job at the same time working at my current charity.  The homelessness charity work came to a close this year when I wanted to concentrate on just one job.  As for how you can help, I share posts to do with work on Facebook so I'm always grateful if they can be shared.  

Kate I didn't know the flowers were Kusudama flowers, are these the ones you made out of fabric?  I would never have thought of doing them out of fabric, if you did I might have to give them a whirl!  I also hear you on the art teacher front, I couldn't draw still life, so I decided I was lousy at art, my art teacher never chose to disagree with me so I spent years cleaning the stock room and making it tidy rather than creating art, it was only as an adult I discovered my love of all arty things!

So there you are lovely people, all caught up hopefully on the questions front and that was definitely the week that was. 

If you fancy joining in with me, Lisca and Kate, pop a post together pop back, link up and we can come and visit. 



4 comments:

Lisca said...

Hi Virginia,
Again, I enjoyed reading your post with a cup of coffee. Thank you for answering all those questions. They are interesting to read.
The flowers are beautiful. I love all those settings. That flower 'happening' is going to be spectacular! Will they all be sold afterwards? I love those badges. Sod political correctness!
Your boy's metal flowers are fantastic, especially the tulip (of course being Dutch I would home in on the tulip)
Your cards are lovely. I am not really a card maker either, but have to make them out of necessity as I can't buy any here.
Have a lovely weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca

Granny Gee said...

OMG hahahaha....like your not busy enough that you are now doing Q&A sessions for us :D..Luuuurve the "Warm Snow" lol. Haven't seen any of your FB posts lately so will pop over o your page and check things out XXX

Helen said...

another fantastic week, and a very informative post with the answers to the questions. the flowers look fantastic, and I think the badges are great!! Have a good weekend before your op xx

mamapez5 said...

That was a good catch-up Virginia. And, Yes, I did make Kusudama flowers from fabric (It takes a surprising large amount for a good size flower), because that is how I first saw them, and I attached them to a pin for a charity sale.
I love all the tissue paper flowers. It will all make a beautiful display.
I love the set of birthday cards you made with those papers. It is a lovely colour combination that reminds me of all the citrus fruits that grow around here.
I laughed at the badges. They are not for me, but I actually think the zombie ones would be very popular in a sale.
Wishing you all the very best for your operation. Kate xx