Tuesday, 1 January 2013

Artful Reader's Club - The Reading Challenge

Good Morning and a Happy New Year to you all, I start this 1 January with a brand new challenge from Darcy - this time to get us reading more - something I could definitely do with!  So here is the photo of my books for this year a rather eclectic mix, some have been on my bookshelf for an age, some are new Christmas books, some were cheap buys and some were 'must reads' according to hubby.  The key to all of them is that I've been a reluctant reader for a while.  I know what I like to read and therefore read, re-read and read them some more, rarely leaving my comfort zone.  There were a couple of other contenders, Charles Dickens 'A Christmas Carol' is something I wanted to read this year but didn't get around to it and would be a great December read in 2013 but I technically don't currently own it.  I also considered adding the next J R Ward book that will be released at some point this year, but I'll read that regardless and I feel that the challenge  is partly to do with reading things that we wouldn't normally.

First up on the list is The Diary of a Submissive, having subjected myself to the 50 Shades saga in 2012 this one is apparently written by a true life submissive, it got bought in one of those 2 for £7 deals when I couldn't identify anything else I fancied buying and has sat gathering dust ever since albeit probably only just over 2 months!

Let's just say it might make for some interesting art work!

23 comments:

  1. So interesting to see such a wide range of titles on people's blogs (well, those I've been able to find!).
    50 Shades was recommended to me and I got about halfway through and abandoned it, so I'll be interested in your review. Looks like being a great year for finding new books to read.
    Just posted mine today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoo hoo! That does sound interesting lol Glad you decided to join in too :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trying again to comment, not sure what happened to the first attempt. I've read three of your titles (Snuff, Dragon Tattoo and Ice Station) and they were all good reads so that's a good start!

    I'm too much of a prude to read anything like your first choice but I am definitely looking forward to seeing the artwork it inspires :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. ROFL...welcome to my world!!!!
    Enjoy!
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Christmas Carol is on my list! I'm obsessed with all the Scrooge adaptions but never read the original. I downloaded it free for the kindle :-)

    Have finally got my 12 so will get my list posted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I have Casual Vacancy too. Forgot about it but it would have been worthy to read for my list... Maybe next year, or I'll just read it anyways! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh looking forward to hearing what you think of the D/s world from the real life perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVED the Dragon Tattoo books so I hope you enjoy it. Looking forward to seeing your artwork for this month ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. great diverse list, I adore Pratchett. i have the girl with dragon tattoo and found it hard going, will be interesting to read your take on it. I also have the twilight books, but as I am currently reading them for the 2nd time they aren't new/unread books so they couldnt go on my list lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have certainly got some interesting reading ahead of you.
    My 12 have now been chosen too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. the title is rather suggestive. I never read any of the 50 shades... I just find it to be uninviting ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. NO! NO! Not the scary Larrson! Did you know the original title for that book is "Men Who Hate Women"? Män som hatar kvinnor?
    Seriously scary...but, well, very popular. Nice list though :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. No read any of these, so looking forward to seeing your reviews. A xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome on board! Some good reads amongst your titles.

    Janet xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. some good titles here, i think i've only read Twilight out of this list x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't read any of the 50 Shades books. I have The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo but haven't read it and didn't put it on my list for some reason. I'm interested to read the review of the Rowling book - I have in mind to get the whole Harry Potter series and read them all back to back at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What happened to that rogue book in my last comment! I've never even seen the cover of 50 Shades. I meant the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo! I used to struggle through any book, but these days I'm more impatient to get on to one I'll like. But there's no reason we can't enjoy reviews and artwork about a book we didn't like. Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks like quite the list. It's nice to see such diversity in looking at everybody's list!

    ReplyDelete
  19. looking forward to your art, and the reviews, i've done some work on both our journals and will mail both back soonish

    dxxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have some of those in my bookcase but not on my list for the challenge this year, it will be interesting to see what you think of them!
    manonX

    ReplyDelete
  21. Exciting and interesting list Virginia... looking forward to hearing what you think about them...

    Jenny ♥

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your list, I have Girl with the Dragon Tattoo on mine. I've read Twilight and enjoyed the books and love Pratchett! Look forward to your reviews & art.

    ReplyDelete
  23. i have not read any of the books you have on your list so i will be waiting anxiously to read your reviews of them. so glad you are on this reading journey with me!

    ReplyDelete