Saturday, 3 March 2012

THE FUN OF BOARD BOOKS

As some of you may be aware it was Carmen's birthday this last week and I've been puzzling over what to make her for quite a while.  The last circle journal book I had was a children's board book and I really enjoyed working with it (I'd forgotten what fun they were).  Anyway as the idea for the present started to formulate I decided a children's board book would be a great starting point, so off to the local charity shop and I put my hands on a tall thin board book which I quite happily dismantled (with the help of hubby dismantling and sanding as I can't stand sand paper), then I set too with a few magazines and started to think about the story.

Carmen was originally intended to take part in the rock in peace resurrected circle journal that started late last year, but due to having too much on decided to bow out at the last minute, however, this was not before she'd decided on what she was going to ask us to do with regards to a circle journal which was a rock fairy tale.  As she left the group before the circle journal really got going this 'idea' obviously ended up shelved, so I wondered if I could do a book for Carmen that would include the idea.  I also know she has a love of the Grimm fairy tales so quite a lot of time was spent trawling the internet looking at the stories.  Eventually I came across the story of the raven which I'd never read and before I new it I was working on a re-writing of this traditional tale.  A flurry of paint, gluing, sticking, typing and retyping and the finished book came together and unusually for me who always thinks these need something else I was actually happy with it once it was completed.  So here for my fellow circle journallers and anyone else interested is the story of the rock raven.












10 comments:

  1. Carmen will have been absolutely delighted with this, Virginia, it is PERFECT for her! It is so very 'Virginia' and yet 'Carmen'. As usual your mix of images and paint/journaling is wonderful.

    Superb gift.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing Virginia and so totally Carmen, I bet she loved it! I love the story especially 'the magic castle known as the 02 arenea' LOL, and the images you used are fantastic!So much hard work put into it, what an amazing friend you are to give gifts like that x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is flipping IMMENSE!!!!! Carmen must have been blown out of the park! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW - i LOVE this!! the cover looks 3D. I bet she loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ........*gobsmacked!!!*.... :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Fabulous work Virginia! As Jo said, it's you and yet also so Carmen. Bet she was thrilled with it.
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - that is amazing Virginia - you are one talented lady :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's stunning!I can't get over how fabulous it is!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so very behind in my blog comments but this one I have to comment on - everyone is so right. I actually got a tad emotional when I opened this and | showed everyone who came through the door on my birthday. Not one could read it without stroking the pages. Even my Dad! It's gorgeous! Thank you again so much Virginia!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is totally amazing!! I love the front cover!!

    ReplyDelete