Friday, 17 February 2012

ROCKING YOUR WORLD FRIDAY

Good morning all - how do I find you this fair morning - tis Friday once again - a time to settle back and use the grey matter to identify the positives and grateful moments that you had in the week, it doesn't matter how small or insignificant they may seem if they made you happy then they are true moments to include in a Rocking post.  The list doesn't have to be long - so without further ado
Half term week - time off - always an amazing blessing, to enjoy family time (which we have) or to down tools from work for a while (which I have) or to have a major clean of said 11 year old's room (which we did) it's definitely something to be grateful for.

Half term week has also brought a mighty large birthday celebration for DH - this year we both celebrate big birthdays mine is my 40th in September and DH was his 50th on Valentine's day.  We've had a few days celebrating, nothing major, just our style if I'm honest, days out at Castleton, visiting two different caves at Castleton, bowling on his birthday and a trip to the cinema to see Man on a Ledge - all was good.  February is a difficult month to celebrate a birthday I've found, so might have some more celebrations on his half birthday in August LOL - it might have warmed up a bit by then.

Valentine's Day brought me gifts and flowers even though I said the flowers were more than enough - he wasn't having any of it and he bought me a small bag of my favourite Thornton chocolate, and two beautiful heart decorations from Next - I was thoroughly spoilt and it was his birthday - go figure!

Drinking hot chocolate outside in Bakewell, wrapped up in warm coats and blankets this is the offending beastie!
 and this is how nice they were!
Finding quaint courtyards in Bakewell - how pretty does this look!
 Next up Speedwell Cavern at Castleton an underground boat ride through an old Lead mine with Dominic as our guide, it was great apart from having to duck down quite frequently for fear of banging our heads - they must have been significantly shorter back then is all I can say!
 The Peak Cavern was also fabulous, we saw how rope was traditionally made as well as getting to explore the mine, although the Lumbago walk (I kid you not) was a killer on the back - quite literally!
Finding a lovely cafe, there is nothing nicer than finding somewhere nice to stop and grab a drink or a bite to eat and that's exactly what we did in Castleton - the Three Roofs was gorgeous inside and really busy, waited on tables, tea served in a proper tea pot, great sandwich selection and chips for said 11 year old - what more can I say!

Finding a jewelllers that not only stocks some pretty awesome pieces of jewellery but also makes them!  In particular one stone took our fancy and it looks like we might have found a joint birthday present for us both - just need to save now.

Half term science experiments, as said 11 years old's school are this year going to be doing a Science SAT exam hubby and said 11 year old decided to do some practical experiments, these are the coca cola cleaning money experiment, the coloured sugar experiment and the wobbly egg experiment which have all adorned my kitchen worktops all week.  In particular the wobbly egg is verging on gruesome, a raw egg sat in a glass of vinegar for 7 days leads to a wobbly egg that you can manipulate with your hand - urgh - is all I can think that and the fact it's been foaming all week - not nice but it's kept said 11 year old amused.
Then there was the bath bomb experiment, I got a bath bomb kit for Christmas and thought because it's all science looking that said 11 year old might like to make some.  Here he is hard at work.  The first one was perfect, the second not quite so much, in fact I was on the phone to my Mum when hubby and said 11 year old were trying to get the second one to work, it kept foaming up out of the top of the mould - only later did we discover that he'd added more citric acid to the mix when trying to get it to form into clumps rather than starch - honestly!!!!
Another grateful watching a good film at the cinema that we could all watch - Man on a Ledge turned out to be far better than I expected and provided they don't see fit to do Man on a Ledge 2 (how many ledges can a man stand on LOL) I can honestly say it was a good watch!

So there you go my rather lengthy list of gratefuls this week.  How was your week, I hope it was good, if you want to join in, throw yourself a blog post together and pop back here to link with Mr Linky so we can come and visit.  If you don't have a blog you can always just leave a comment telling me what made your week this week!

I hope you all have a truly blessed week ahead

Now before Mr Linky a little crafting, the huge lion at the Sotheby's sale at Chatsworth's Beyond Limits exhibition last year, made from tyres - one of our favourites.
 Up close, punched tags, on foam pads with assorted stars on
 hand stamped stars coloured in and the stamped title.

10 comments:

  1. What a fabulous half term! The egg experiment sounds very cool, shall have to try that one with my kiddies.

    Lovely layout, I can totally understand why the lion is a fav of yours, it is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a joyous week! I'm sitting here smiling at your descriptions and feeling your happiness. What a lovely way to spend half-term week..apart from the egg (yuck!).
    So pleased you've had lots of family time and found some new places and spaces.
    Have a great weekend.
    Hugs xx
    p.s. that hot chocolate appeals to me rather a lot! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, sounds like you have had a very busy week! The caves sound fantastic, I have never been in a proper cave before but would love to, your photos of it look great (and a little spooky!). Glad your DH had a great birthday and that you were spoilt as well. That hot chocolate looks very tempting, unlike the egg experiment in your kitchen!!! Loving the goggles on your son, he looks just like a scientist!! Hope the bath bombs work out for you.
    Have a great week x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely LO...and I want some of that hot chocolate LOL

    Virginia, I would like to share an award with you so if you would like to hop on over to see the details.

    Toni xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing week Virginia! Absolutely fantastic. The caves look awesome! Literally in every sense of the word. The hot chocolate does not tempt me as am not a fan but can imagine a coffee with all that on! Mmmmmmm.

    The joint pressie sounds interesting and all in all sounds like you have a big smile on your face - there is definitely one on mine after reading this!

    Have another great week Virginia :)

    http://whoopidooings.blogspot.com/2012/02/rocking-my-world-friday_17.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Back to read later...got a houseful for dinner :S

    ReplyDelete
  7. Said 11 year old's face says it all about that luxury hot chocolate! I want one!! Bakewell looks lovely. I don't know if I could have coped with an underground boat ride, I think I'd get kinda claustrophobic and start screaming and thrashing about. Kinda scary for the other people on the boat :-S That egg experiment sounds HORRIBLE but then I'm no scientist. The bath bombs sound fun - your son looks like a mad scientist in his goggles! I don't know how safe his bath bombs will be to use - maybe try one out on an egg first - see if it dissolves before you jump in.......;o)

    Belated Happy Birthday to DH - I wouldn't count on it being warmer in August!

    That lion is WONDERFUL - I'm glad he'll be remembered in this LO.

    Have a lovely weekend,

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was reading about Castleton on another Blog this week. Joe went on a week's residential trip there from primary school. They wanted a total opposite of what we have here on the south coast. He spent all his spending money on a shell for me which obviously came from distant shores !
    Happy birthday to your hubby one year older to the very day than me ! Hubby& I turn 50 next year & wondering how to celebrate.
    Have a great week ahead xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. The caverns look incredible, what an experience. Your weeks are mighty full!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your half term looks like it was tons of fun - especially those caves, brill!

    ReplyDelete