Saturday, 4 February 2012

A BIG THANK YOU TO MICHELLE AND HER COLOUR WHEEL

A few weeks ago I was reading Michelle's blog and she was talking about a colour wheel.  I giggled at the post because I too didn't have particularly fond memories of using one and I certainly don't have one in my possession now, however a few days after reading her post I was faced with a set of photos that I couldn't scrap.  Not because I didn't want to but because every time I thought I'd found 'the' paper I'd place the photos on top for overall effect and pull faces.  The photos had been taken on a harsh wintry day, with a harsh colour back drop and a wintry sky.  I tried everything paper wise and just couldn't get a 'feel' for the page at all.

Then I remembered Michelle mentioning a colour wheel, so a quick google search and I found lots of image examples.  The photos had a washed out blue in them and therefore the contrasting colour was orange, but I'd tried every orange paper I'd got and I didn't like what I saw, so my next option was to try the colours either side of blue (because I'd tried blue and that didn't work either), one side of blue sits the colour green and the other side sits purple.  Purple?  I thought - I never scrapbook purple because on the whole I don't have a whole heap of purple papers but then I thought what if purple is the colour.  So after a little rummaging I came back with some basic grey papers and was relieved - no delighted to find that the purple worked really well - who'd have thought!

So here is the pages in question a double page layout using predominantly purple!
Isn't it amazing how a colour choice really is needed to make a page work!   this is the right hand page up close.
 this is the left hand page up close.
 Up close the hand stamped journalling and the hand stitching.
 I hand cut the paper for these tags and was quite happy with the effect once completed.
The pages in question cover a day at The Coldstones Cut, which is an art installation next to a working quarry, it's mighty odd but strangely works with it's surrounding landscape in a way that other art installations probably wouldn't and we went because it was quirky and I can vouch it was definitely quirky!!!!

7 comments:

  1. That colour combi is brilliant!...Doh...where did I throw my colour wheel? lol:D XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I love purple and love scrapping with it!
    Fabulous pages and I like the sound of the art installation..
    Hugs xx
    p.s. I have a colour wheel but always forget to use it..I usually ask Pat (former art teacher) or DH if I'm having problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay to you for going with it - sometimes it is so easy to get frustrated and give up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the effect of the purple but I SUPER love how you've used that photo as a title. Just a gorgeous couple of pages Virginia :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The papers and colours go great with the photos Virginia, they really bring out the colour and texture of the stones. Hope you're having a great weekend and stay safe in this snow. :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Carmen on the title photo -fab! This place looks really interesting, you have so many cool things to see up in your part of the world, I must visit one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant! The purple works so well. I never really understood colour wheels, just went with instinct - but judging by your experience, I might give a cw a go. It might make me use different combos.The Coldstones Cut looks great (and cold!).

    x

    ReplyDelete