Friday, 27 January 2012

ROCKING YOUR WORLD FRIDAY a 12 x 12 layout and the word DIRECTION

Aha - I'm going to try and do this as the week progresses, so be warned it might turn into a long one, in which case, grab yourself a virtual cuppa and a biscuit before you commence (actually on second thoughts it might be better to grab a real one LOL).

So here is my
My rocking your world moments how they happened this week

Last Friday was another hypnoslim appointment which was excellent, we got mind gym (which I've not put on my MP3 player yet), a good chat, identifying areas of issue, hypnotism and coming away feeling happier and better in myself prepared for the next week.  I must admit having time to think and relax in a good atmosphere really does make the world of difference.  The morning had started on a chocolate biscuit fiasco (which I won't bore you with but involved me, a chocolate biscuit and an 11 year old - it wasn't a happy discussion - hadn't realised there were claimed rights over food in this house but at that point apparently there were.  You'll be pleased to know this has subsequently changed!).

Debenhams for having my make up in when I needed it.  Because I've got such problem skin I really daren't leave the house without it for fear of frightening people.  However, the unhelpful assistant insisting that the starter kit was what I needed means I came home for a search on line only to find a much cheaper shop that I'll be using in future, so thanks to them for pushing me into finding a better supplier who'll deliver to my door.

Saturday morning - and said 11 year old claiming he was watching "Wall in the Hole" - he did make me giggle apparently it should have been "Hole in the Wall" but he just couldn't swap it around, even though he knew he'd got it the wrong way around.

The gym on Saturday was great, me and said 11 year old and my sister, our programs are all around the same length of time so we went did the session, came home, showered etc and felt much better for it.

Sorting my scrapbook pages out into albums, there were loads and loads and loads (I hadn't realised I'd done so many!)  But there is something deeply satisfying about putting them into albums, the downside was that I ran out of space in my albums so a trip to Hobbycraft to find they do a pack of 10 plastics for £2.99 bargain! I bought three packs and have now extended a couple of albums to get the most out of them, rather than buy another album at the price of £18 grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.  Actually rummaging through I found a part made album that DH started for me an age ago, think it needs a bit of extra chipboard and some papercoverage but I'm sure I can manage this LOL.  Will keep you informed as to whether I succeed and then the other 20 plastics can go in that and keep me going for now.

Which leads onto my next grateful new stock at Hobbycraft - just after Christmas they really didn't have much in that I fancied, so imagine my dismay/shock/excitement when I found the Papermania Portabello Road range - I mean Union Jacks and vintage - really in one pack, blues and reds and whites and stamps and ribbons and embossing folders - I was supposed to be buying plastics but you'll be amazed at what else fell into my basket.

I was unsure of whether to get the embossing folder from the Portabello Road range, but really felt that a simple embossed Union Jack would be perfect for masculine cards which I find a nightmare to create at the best of time.  Saturday night led to me making a few trial cards to see what the embossing folder was like and can I say I'm rather impressed with it.  Now how many other colours can I incorporate when using it because I don't want to use up all my reds and blues!  Probably my biggest problem is that I have a whole side of the family who are Irish - not convinced they'll want a Union Jack card - do you?

The Red Letter Day is booked for Monday, keep your fingers and toes crossed that the weather behaves, it looks like we're going to have to sort someone to look after said 11 year old in the morning too as we're supposed to be there for 9am and it's going to be over an hours drive in Monday morning traffic.

Last Saturday evening we had an evening out by going off to the cinema - so my next grateful is Tom Cruise - why oh why he would want to go climbing on the outside of the world's tallest building really is beyond me - but I have to say that we thoroughly enjoyed MI4 Ghost Protocol - an excellent watch.

A lie in on a Sunday morning, not too late not too early just right, means for a happy person.

Next up on my list of grateful is that sometimes you happen across an artist that blows your mind, Sunday afternoon was just one of those moments.  The artist in question was found via a book hubby was reading and I have to say that the work of Kris Kuksi as a Mixed Media Artist are quite simply breathtaking, approaching such a variety of subjects to create amazing three dimensional work totalling bewildering.  Want to see what I'm going on about - click his name above - but be warned you might be on their some time when you start to see the detail contained therein.  let's put it this way it made me want to find lots and lots of broken toys, little solders, plastic toy guns, toy ladders etc - go see his site to understand why - ooh wait up finish reading this first and then go find!

Well all good plans - yes you guessed it - it's Thursday - haven't touched this since the weekend grrrrr - right what else let me think - my order from Cardinal Colours has arrived safe and sound.  I ordered a DCWV paper pack (these are my most favourite scrapbook paper company, I love the packs, I love the colours and I love the quality of the paper) this stack called Immortal Love click the link to go see the papers - they are gorgeous!!!!! I found out about this because Sian whose part of a circle journal I'm in mentioned them and I wanted them when I saw them, I also got some double sided tape and some flowers from Cardinal Colours too!!

Finally Colmans Bake in a Bag sauces, I'm not one to buy sauces as I tend to do everything from scratch but we discovered these by accident late last year, they are sachet's of powder that create sauces and come with a roasting bag in the top part and basically you throw all the ingredients in the bag, tie the top with the little tie that comes with it and throw it in the oven.  Leave it for the dedicated time and before you know it you've got tea cooked without much effort added to which because it's cooked in the roasting bag you don't have an oven proof dish to clean because it's all cooked in the bag.  They're not badly priced and lead to a tasty tea, we've tried quite a few up to now all successful, Thursday nights is in the oven as we speak cajun chicken with the rice, peppers, tomatoes and onions included in the bag with the powder and water.  No idea what this one will be like but don't even have to worry about a side dish this time as the rice is contained in the bag!

Thursday has also brought a poorly 11 year old to the side of my bed, I knew he'd been ailing all week but come Thursday morning he was completely made up with cold and looked dreadful bless him.  So it's been a duvet day for him and unusually for me my laptop was at work, so I couldn't work from home, I was tempted to head into work once hubby was home about quart to four, but given the amount of TOIL I've got and that said 11 year old is still not well I decided against it - after all it's going to still be there when I get back isn't it.  Why is this on my list of gratefuls you may ask - because it allowed me to put things into perspective - said 11 year old was far more important than emptying my in tray today and I've enjoyed waiting on him hand and foot, providing packets of tissues and food as he's grazed through the day!  Maybe me rebalancing work and home life is starting to come back into balance for the last 12 months it has been pretty much work all the way.

Right that's my list for this week, I'll put Mr Linky at the bottom if you're joining in.  Don't forget the essence of Rocking your World posts, is to pull out the silver linings in your day/week, even when it might seem at first glance that you've had a bad or difficult week, if you dig deep you find those little things that have made the week that bit more bearable.  Once you've identified them pop yourself a blog post together and then link back here so we can come and visit.  It doesn't have to be a lengthy post (but it can if you fancy), it could even just be a bullet pointed list, but if it reminds you of what you've enjoyed then it's worth while!

As always sharing some crafting with you, this is not actually one of my favourite layouts, I don't know why I think it's because I struggled with the background paper, but it's done now.  This one shows DH on the Gladiator Challenge at Center Parcs, he managed both the rope ladder on the left and the other climbing part that he's on in the picture with relative ease!
Up close you can see I cut out some scrabble letters from a page I had (can't remember which stack of papers this comes from) mounted on black and then put it on the page on raised foam pads.  Likewise the words off to the left were from one of those pages with lots of words all over it which I cut out, mounted and stuck to a tag.

I'm also nearing the end of Darcy's 52 word challenge too this one is the word direction and was completed not long after I suffered with a fairly awful bought of vertigo - the word was extremely apt at the time.  I used a stamped arrow as the journal blocks.
Mr Linky for my amazing Rockettes (and Rockers if we ever get one LOL). 

8 comments:

  1. A good week me thinks - Even though these posts are all about positivity I detect an upturn beat in your positive reflections :)

    I having been very proud of myself for wondering into Hobbycraft recently and spent no more than £2 a minor feet in itself blew a lot more yesterday having meandered in in between tutoring jobs twice. I can mostly talk myself out of buying for me or just for the sake of it. But when it is needed for a project for someone else (like the zippy project). oh dear. Then there was the starter acrylics set that was really reduced...............

    Sorry to hear 11 year old is poorly. T has been rough on and off all week. It made the Chinese party easier because he curled up and went to sleep instead of bombing about the place. (It was only just kicking in or I wouldn't have taken him). I haven't got to the stage where it is nice to be able to wait on him hand and foot it is what I do (but I know to appreciate it while it lasts!).

    Isn't balance such a hard thing. I think all the modern technology has made it much worse. And what is it that even if our work is not making us feel guilty then we do it to ourselves? Glad to read about the perspective. I had to stop teaching when all the flat stuff was kicking off (because the lady I worked for was bullying me to put school before my child - bullied at work and home great!). That was a no brainer for me and I walked away and started tutoring instead. Got my evenings back. Get to be with my boy for the precious years before he start school!

    Like your pages. I only ever manage to scrapbook in a class and ours stopped when our local craft store shut down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a post ! You did make me giggle about the chocolate biscuit !
    So glad you found lots of goodies at Hobby craft.
    It's good to look for positives even when we don't feel there are any...they are there we just need to search for them !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow....when did you actually breathe this week!!! And I know it's awful when our kids are feeling sick, but it does give us a chance to be "mummy" again for a little while :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS I meant to add that I loved the wall in the hole mix up ! My two are Dyslexic so we get lots of interesting word mix ups ! Joe speaks in a very precise way & Jess & I giggle that he sounds like he has learned to speak English as a foreign language !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Friday Virginia :) sounds like you have had a busy week! Thanks for the Kris Kuski link, hadn't come across him before. I agree with you about that Portobello Road range, I very nearly succumbed to that Union Jack embossing folder too (then talked myself down as I already have tons of embossing folders that I never use :) )
    I hope your young man feels better soon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Intrigued as to what hypnoslim is...but it sounds good...as do your gym sessions.
    Very, very pleased to hear you managed the work/life balance this week although sorry the said 11 year old was poorly.
    Love the journal pages - fab image and love the direction arrows as journalling spots.
    Have a lovely, restful weekend and enjoy your Red Letter Day!
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hypnoslim is really working for you - anything that makes you feel better and more positive has got to be worth pursuing. There are definite claimed rights to food, lol! Although the fruit and vegetables seem to be exempt from this, areas of contention are always sweets, biscuits and cake. I hadn't heard of Kris Kuski - his artwork is AMAZING! The detail is mind-blowing. Thank you for the link, I'll be back for another look later. I bet your scrapbooking albums look wonderful, a real chocolate box of treats. Page after page of happy memories, just like the lovely Center Parcs LO you've shown us today. I've used those bake in a bag sauces, they're fab and much tastier than you think they're going to be. They are perfect for busy days when you haven't got time to be spending too much time over a hot stove. Poor ol' said 11 year old. I hope he's feeling better after his duvet day.

    I'm sure your Red Letter Day will be wonderful (it's very well deserved).

    Wishing you and yours a lovely weekend,

    xxx
    http://fiddlesnips.blogspot.com/2012/01/whats-rocking-my-world-this-friday_27.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am intrigued about the hypnoslim as well!
      Sounds like you had a really busy week! Hope your 11yr old gets better soon, my 11yr old is poorly too at the moment and has had a few duvet days this week!
      I will definately check out the link for Kris Kuski, sounds amazing!
      I really like your scrapbook LO's and agree with you that albums are so expensive. Your journal page looks great and I love the arrow stamp.
      I hope you enjoy your red letter day!
      Sami x

      Delete