As promised here is the quilt I made as part of my GCSE in Needlework 23 years ago!
Please ignor the atrocious waffling that I do over the top of it, I was trying to explain what it was etc. Anyway this should have given me the knowledge that I will never 'scale down' rather large projects or shortchange myself on anything. For our final school project for needlework (we had to make 3) I went to school with the grand concept of making a 'quilt' not a quilt cover a full blown quilt and I didn't want to make a 'cot quilt' which was the request by my needlework teacher nope I had to do one I could have on my bed!
I made a 'picture' out of a window scene on the front complete with cat sat in the window, curtains, vegetable plot, neighbouring cottage. I used so many different techniques everything from tie dying the sky (which has unfortunately faded so much now you can't tell that'll teach me for using poly cotton and not cotton) to applique, machine embroidery, fabric painting, hand embroidery - you name it I did it.
A close up of the spade in the vegetable plot
On the back I did a patchwork quilt, using offcuts of fabric I had in 'stock' together with bits from the needlework offcuts box at school. The amazing thing with something like this apart from it being a complete labour of love, is that looking back at it now I can still pick out the fabric that I made my 1950's style suit from (another needlework project that has long ago seen the recyle bag) and the fabric I used to make my sister a jacket and skirt set. I don't know about it becoming a family heirloom but its as close to generating something like that that I will get.
Mmm I'm wondering whether a bit of graffiti style quilting may be in order the school holiday, I haven't done anything on that scale for quite some time! We'll see...
Anyway I thought I'd put a post on here.