Wednesday, 9 June 2010

WOYWW IF YOU'RE STAYING FOR THE LONG HAUL GRAB A CUPPA!

I've been trying to get back to WOYWW for a while now but every time I do I get scuppered for some reason, so best foot forward!

Yes that really is my work station - cup of tea and all! I keep balancing everything precariously until finally I have to tidy it.
I've been working on a few items recently including this book that I've had forever - another item out of the alterables box, it has all slidey pull outs on each page and came in a plain white finish, but after buying the penny dropped that the pull out slidey things were quite a tight fit and any chance of adding even a matted photo were remote let alone any embellishments, so into the alterables box it went occasionally waving at me as I passed it by - but finally having received my 431 photos through from bonusprint last weekend (yes I did say 431!) it has emerged and rather than try and layer it up with paper like I normally do I went for throwing colour wash at it, stencilling, masking etc and well I likey now - although I've got stuck again but that's another problem, promise to show you the finished article when I've finished fighting with it!
I'm going to use it for the pictures of my giant canvas (yes I'm making a mini book of the journey LMAO - I'm an artist don't you know and it's my perogative to get the most out of my work - every last little drop). Don't believe that I squeeze every ounce out of my creativity - well here is proof on an epic scale!
I made this mini book of an awesome art wall we discovered in Scarborough recently, the papers are just out of a spring stack I bought a while ago and I just love these stacks because I can use them away without feeling guilty because on a sheet by sheet basis they really aren't that expensive!
The covers were from a rescued book I did a while ago - I attempted to make a waterfall book - but the card stock I used didn't have enough strength in it - so despite sticking 3 back to back they never had the rigidity to behave properly and I simply got stroppy and you guessed it threw it in the alterables box. So I took it back out, removed the waterfall parts and put them to one side because I'm sure I can recover them somehow and then set to work.

I wanted to generate a really quick mini book - you know when you want it finished before you've started, so I simply cut 12 x 12 paper in half and then folded each piece and then stuck them together - simple! Took about half an hour to put the basics of the book together. The right hand side of the book opens like normal, the left hand side lifts from the bottom upwards, there was no way I could make the book deep enough to fill the inch spine (well I could but the spring stack would have been no more as a result and I may have had to reinforce the floor!) so this seemed the best solution
I loved making it, I also decided to make a 12 x 12 double layout to document it - because I like to do chronological 12 x 12 layouts that relate to my life (I know how mad am I) and because I liked the papers so much I used them for the layouts, I took inspiration from Angie Woolfall's Angel Islington layout that she did for the last cyber crop on UK Scrappers, I just loved the effect and the simplicity at achieving it, I love how you can go back and look at the cyber crops at a later date for blow by blow instructions or just for a little bit of inspiration!
I enjoyed doing both pages although they differ slightly they pull together nicely!

A little bit more detail from the layouts - the chipboard onlong the bottom of one of the layouts are cut up photos of some of the gorgeous clay tiles that have been made and adorn the side of the one of the houses below the art work.

Then I was left with the usual offcuts and again squeezing the creativity I did these cards (I love these photos - because you can see the glossy accents) believe it or not the 12 x 12 layouts had the glossy accents too you just can't see them!
So has that been it?

No of course not, I went to my scrapbook class on Monday, it is true that art therapy works wonders, Sandra had designed a gorgeous layout for us to do and when I got home I finished it - ta da! I altered it slightly because my photo was quite big but the overall essence is the same as the class layout and I loved doing it, so thank you Sandra for a little therapy - it does wonders!
And likewise I had some left over paper (although not huge amounts but a little can go a long way so I made these, using some stampotique images don't you just love these)
and a photo of them all together
See me squeezing the creativity out! So off to Julia's stamping ground to say hi and add myself to the list - wonder if I should warn them they'll need a cup of tea for this one?
Oh nearly forgot - hold on!

Yes that is my little sister enjoying herself on her 30th birthday - do you think she was giddy?

29 comments:

  1. Now that last video had me LOL! Mel looks so giddy although you know it runs out just before she reveals her age!
    I love your mini books, both, the painty one and the paper one - no wonder your workdesls is... er ... piled high! Keep creating! x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a lot on display! great desk space, and you've been playing with spray inks! I havn't got any of those yet.
    The book is so pretty and the layout is fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  3. That wasn't too long - the kettle's only just boiled!! Love all your creative creations - that art wall looks fab!! Really like the colours of the last set (12 x 12 of your boys and the Stampotique Freakoids) they look fantastic as a set altogether!! Also, great idea of making a mini book of the canvas 'journey'. I think it was an important moment and should be properly documented!!

    Still haven't accepted my award and now I have been awarded it again from Lesley!! Will have to get my finger out and get lying!! Busy week - Harry and Molly were poorly with a tummy bug yesterday (they were at a kids party on Sunday and now 11 kids and 4 adults - including my Dad, have been vomiting. The Mum who organised the party is mortified), the Beaver Scouts are making their promise tonight and Molly is in Hospital on Friday to get her Grommets in - eek!! Promise to try and get it done...

    And finally - love the little movie of Mel!! Her dress is GORGEOUS!! Love it, love it, love it. Need to see more footage/photos - was SO happy yesterday though when she updated her blog!! Off to have my cuppa now and maybe read that post again along with Mel's. How's your Mum, she been a bit quiet - not like her at all!!??!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a really creative week you've had! Love all your art work and I must find that wall next time I get to Scarborough.
    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - posting and a half - love the movie at the end

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, so much going on, love all the journal pages and the books, fantastic work Virginia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow you have been busy and if throwing colour at card achieves the effect in your first pictures then I shall definately be trying some throwing.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow you have been busy. you've also inspired me to have a go at a little something.
    Linbyx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great movie - does she know you have put this on your blog??

    Love your mini book - fab papers and all the LO's are gorgeous too!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, those books are great. Will have to try and come back later as can't watch the video at work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mini book is fab, thanks for sharing your projects x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what a lot to look at!!! You certainly squeezed every last scrap out of those papers! Such a good idea, my off cuts go into my scrap box never to see the light of day again......:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, good to see you crafting and creating and making art and posting about it again :) It all looks gorgeous, and I did read it all, but the left me little time to post coz I am at work which means I am meant to be working!! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow thats a gobsmackingly huge amount of work, you rock!!! I love that book and the photos you filled it with are amazing...gorgeous 12 x 12's too and the cards are so funky and arty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love what you're 'throwing' at the book, great colours - and you'll be so happy thatyou used something you already had languishing! The finished book is fab, you've been really going for it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL - she'll kill you!

    Loved this post - had a cuppa so was well armed ;) Your books and pages are AMAZING!

    How are you doing on the bootcamp thing? I'm soooo behind. But really enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great projects, I really love your creativity it is inspirational. You were one of the first blogs I followed before I got my blog. I have something on my blog for you. :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fab desk.. and fab art too :O))

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a busy blog this week.
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! Such creativity and with all that 'balancing' on your desk such bravery too lol!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your sister looks fun! Great book, cards, and everything! x

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh wow love all your art work so much going on,hugs cheryl xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. what alot of work you have been doing hun, love the mini book idea :0)
    *hugs* Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  24. gorgeous art as always Virginia and the worse thing about the video is that I can't even remember why I started shouting pokey, pokey! Hi ho was good fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW!! Just love all that you've done! Very creative! Again, WOW!
    xo
    kat

    ReplyDelete
  26. I munched my way through a Mars Bar and a cupa lol ...what a creative post ...loved it all. Your LO's were brilliant ...especially the DLO 'art'

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the inky pages, and the book and the Stampotique pages :-) - I love some of the Stampotique stamps - currently only own 2 but will get more - but not keen on the really weird ones
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sorry I'm a bit late...Fab book, love it! great makes, fabulous stuff going on but I think your tea's got cold
    (Lyn)

    ReplyDelete