Thursday, 17 September 2009

BOOK WITHIN A BOOK

It's always difficult when you're asked to do a book for someone you don't know and last week was no exception, a friend of my husbands asked for a book for a family relation who was going to be 21 and I had little less than 5 days to complete, thankfully when they brought the photos and poems they'd numbered them etc and said exactly what wording they wanted which certainly took some of the stress out!

But trying to pitch a book right when you don't know the person is really hard. Eventually I gave up some of my Norah Jones, Creative Imagination papers that I've only ever used once because I can't get them any more and because they are absolutely gorgeous! My other half nearly fainted when he realised I'd used a sheet LOL. Don't you just love those papers!

The poems started with the wording a book within a book, so the challenge was to make a box that looked like a book. Not too difficult when I have my DH on hand to make me a chipboard book (except on the night he made it I was out and the book was covered in wet glossy accents and so he had to guess the measurements and got them wrong!) So book box number 2 was put together on Friday night with correct measurements.

At 11pm Friday I threw in the towel, I had a bright garrish box that simply didn't go with the book and I said it's no good I can't do it and dragged myself to bed. Now I don't know whether it's from reading Dyan of Art from the Heart's blog where she perpetually seems to be blogging at 2am that caused me to wake at 4am in an "I'm wide awake" kind of way followed by the next thought which was "the books not done arggghhhhhhhhhhhh!" closely followed by "I could finish it now", so I crept downstairs, and set to on it, only to be followed by my hubby a few minutes later wanting to know what on earth I was doing, anyway babywipes and black paint, Tim Holtz grungeboard swirls, glossy accents and the off cuts of the gorgeous Live with Passion paper and it was done! Back to bed back to bed. Apparently, when said book was delivered to said 21 year old everyone remarked on how I'd got her character just right! How awesome is that. The photos are of the bits that I could photograph without divulging personal photographs and I'm so glad it was well received! I have said next time I'll need more time though LOL!

A shot from the inside cover with more of the Norah Jones papers on the left!

And the inside back cover on the right!

7 comments:

  1. LOL... my scrap stalker!! Lovely book, and have to agree with you... its one of the reasons I would never scrap on commission... to stressful. I will do books to order but its on the understanding that I do what I want, in what papers and colours and they have to like the end result!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful book ...so glad the recepient loved it ...makes the work worth it

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful ... really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must say, the book is an absolute credit to you. No wonder it was well received it's fantastic!!!!!!!
    Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a beautiful book Virginia, I bet she loved it. I also think the papers are the best and don't know how you could part with them xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book is gorgeous & those papers are beautiful, how did you give them up? you must have a will of iron.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great Virginia - you were very brave to take a comission! It all turned out fab in the end so credit to you.

    ReplyDelete