Sunday, 26 July 2009

TRAVEL JOURNAL - ONE DOWN ONE TO GO!

Well - late posting on Sunday night again! This is getting to be something of a habit! I usually take a big notebook away with me on holiday and spend two weeks craving some scrapping time but not this year, taken a leaf out of other scrappers books and made myself a travel journal.

Amazingly the first challenge I set myself was to use lots of papers that I don't like, now don't get me wrong I don't normally buy papers with my eyes shut, but sometimes those little thumbnails on the internet simply don't show you the papers to the fullest extent, I remember getting most of these papers and being so disappointed, I thought they'd possibly been designed for a 6" x 6" paper and then enlarged to make the 12" x 12" papers and therefore lost their clarity - to say I wasn't happy with them was an understatement. But I truly believe any paper no matter how old, or disappointing can grow from the ugly duckling so that was my challenge - now its done how do I feel about it - well I think having added a couple of co-ordinating papers I've managed to make a more than presentable book!

I've stamped some blank cream card stock offcuts with swirls and flourishes and edged the papers in black soot distress ink (one of my new favourite inks by Tim Holtz) throughout the book to write down things that happen.

I've used an assortment of stamps throughout the book - pretty much whatever took my fancy!

Lots of offcuts and a little bit of ribbon!
Some fabric flowers bought in one of those cheap pound shops and dismantled!

Found a cool 'journey' stamp that I'd forgotten I'd got and used lots of ribbons that I'd cut out of new tops I've bought for the holiday - I never see the point in those ribbons in tops - apart from providing us scrappers with embellishments LOL!

The inside back cover's got a pocket with extra tags inside! So all done - just got to make one for my 8 year old now - trying to encourage him with the writing side of things!

8 comments:

  1. It looks fabulous. I hope you get to write in it and we see the finished item! Love that journey stamp x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! Enjoy your hols, looking forward to see what you add. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great book - and I agree with your comments on using papers you are not to fond of, and really liking them when it's all done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is just fab! I really like what you have done. I think it's good to challenge ourselves like this fromt time to time. My current one is to try and use up the pile of scraps on my desk in my various projects. It's working -the pile is shrinking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this amlost makes me want to book a holiday just so I can make a travel journal :) it looks fantastic and i love the colours of the PP!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats just gorgeous - fab job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well dear girl it looks like you've been busy again! Its lovely - and what are you on about with the papers? they look great! Although I know what you mean when you say "papers you don't like"....I call them fronky papers...but then its all just a matter of taste isn't it? Enjoy your hol and fill that journal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohmygosh - that is simply stunning!

    ReplyDelete